Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The big move

Goodbye Eurasia, Welcome Midwest! 

As I am moving to Iowa in the United States, I decided to keep up with the best traditions of any expat, and to start a blog where I could document all my future adventures in this off-the-beaten-path destination, which is a birth place to sliced bread and has a population of 14-15 million pigs compared to 3.1 million people. 

<disclaimer: yes, I've been there twice. But what do tourists know? Nothing. This time I am going native.>


For those interested, Iowa is a state in the middle of the continent of the North America. Its name derives from the Ioway tribe, who were kind enough and gave the great white people their lands and settled in a cozy <why else would they move?> reservation along the Kansas-Nebraska border. 

Let's do some introductions to this place. Firstly, Iowa is famous for its traditional dances, which are performed using special vehicles: 




Iowans are also extremely good at shooting. So good, that their official law permits blind people carry guns. Beat that, William Tell! 
Another thing, which gets me excited to be spending five years <or more, but even Soviets never had plans for a longer term> is that I most likely shall see no hipsters kissing in the street: the law in Iowa forbids a man with a mustache to kiss a woman in public. Even if you are kissing not a woman, but someone else, and/or you don't sport a mustache, your kiss can last no longer than five minutes

As every far-far away country, Iowa is full of wonders. 

They have the largest bullhead fish in the world. It's 3.65 meters long. 


It also has the world's biggest wooden nickel <a sort of a coin>. 



I am already excited. Follow my blog to keep updated with the adventures of an expat in Iowa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment